BRIDGNORTH & DISTRICT TWINNING ASSOCIATION
Members and residents of Bridgnorth, Highley, and the surrounding area are invited to attend the Bridgnorth & District Twinning Association's AGM, to be held in Bridgnorth Council Offices Annex, St Leonard's Close, on Thursday 17th October commencing at 7-30pm.
THURSDAY 17th OCTOBER 2019
Bridgnorth Council Office's Annex
7-30pm to 9 pm
BRIDGNORTH TWINNING FESTIVAL 2018
CELEBRATING 40 YEARS OF TWINNING LINKS
Bridgnorth's deputy mayor, councillor Jean Onions, presenting a painted replica model of Trevithick's Engine, (built in Bridgnorth in 1808), to the mayor of Thiers, Claude Nowotny, in recognition of the friendship between the two towns.
CELEBRATING 26 YEARS OF TWINNING LINKS
The Bridgnorth & District Twinning Association's president, Lindy Macdonald, presenting a framed photograph of Bridgnorth to the burgermeister of Schrobenhausen, Karlheinz Stephan, in recognition of the friendship between the two towns.
Replica model of Richard Trevithick's first passenger paying Steam Engine, built in Bridgnorth in 1808.
The model was designed and cast in aluminium by Grainger & Worrall in their foundry at the Stanmore Business Park, Bridgnorth, July 2018.
BRIDGNORTH, SHROPSHIRE, ENGLAND
41 years ago, six coach loads, filled with 300 of our residents, arrived in Thiers, in the beautiful Auvergne region of France, to witness the signing of our first twinning charter in 1978. Ten years later, Thiers introduced us to their Bavarian twin town,Schrobenhausen, resulting in a ceremony in Bridgnorth, in 1992, to complete the triangle of towns that we have today.
Bridgnorth's town twinning relationships with its partner towns in France and Germany are enshrined in charters signed by the respective mayors and town clerks.
THIERS, AUVERGNE, FRANCE Charter Signed 1978
Thiers is a medieval town built upon a hillside along the Durolle river valley. The steep elevation splits the town into distinct high town and low town areas, with historic houses notable in the old quarter of high town.
Thiers is famous for its knives, blades and cutlery industry. The town has a museum in the old quarter, portraying the history of knife-making. Further along the valley is the industrial heritage museum, l'Usine du May, opened in 2009. Modern factories include Forges Gorce who make blades for agricultural machinery from hedge trimmers to combine harvesters.
SCHROBENHAUSEN, BAVARIA, GERMANY Charter Signed 1992
Schrobenhausen is situated on the river Paar, approx. 25 kilometres southwest of Ingolstadt, 35 kilometres northeast of Augsburg, and 75 kilometres northwest of Munich.
“Scropinhusun”, the houses of Scropo, was first mentioned in a document around 790. Since 1310 Schrobenhausen has been a market town and in1447 the town charter was granted to Schrobenhausen. Between 1971 and 1978 the former independent municipalities Steingriff, Hörzhausen, Sandizell und Mühlried were incorporated into Schrobenhausen.
1) Bridgnorth Schools painting Banners for "Thiers Ville Haute En Couleurs" project theme : "Behind The Door" "Deceive The Eye". March - May 2019. Participating schools: St Leonard's Primary School and Highley Primary School.
2) Thiers Jumelage Festival. July
3) Thiers Ville Haute En Couleurs: June to October 2019. Street display of 70 Banners.
4) Bridgnorth Twinning AGM. October 2019
5) Three Towns annual committee meeting, November 2019